Monday, February 13, 2012

In Ankara

Well, not too much happened since I last wrote. I did get stuck in the hotel's elevator. It doesn't have it's own door and I didn't realize that you have to push the floor's door to get out. The elevator is really small too. I freaked out and started pounding on the door.

I had an argument with last night's internet guy. I'm sure I gave him 2 lira. He was sure I gave him 1.50. He said he only had 1 50 piece and I had just given it to him. I had checked in the hotel and saw I only had 1 50 piece, which was still in my pocket. An argument ensued. I got my 2 lira back and he kicked me out. Just as well, he charged me 1.75 yesterday.

Other than that, I spent the day walking around. Kizilay is the posh part of town and has way too many McDonald'ses, Burger Kings, Pizza Huts, and Dominoes, too close to one another. Do we need three Burger Kings within two blocks?

Ankara is an Asian city. This is how I can tell. I have to run across the street if I don't want to be standing in the same place for a half hour waiting for a break in traffic. People honk their car horns instead of yielding. The computers at the internet places suck. And I can't go out for a leasurely stroll. The wide streets are too crowded.

Kemal Ataturk is much bigger here than he is in Istanbul. Ataturk didn't step foot in Istanbul from 1919 to 1927, which, no disrespect the Turkish people, does not say much for their father's judgement. If Istanbul leaves you speechless, Ankara will have you talking to yourself.

P.S. John's name was actually Chaner, which shows you my ability to understand Turkish.

No comments: