Friday, March 18, 2011

Thoughts on the NCAA Tournament Thus Far

Like most, I hate the First Four. I always hated the play-in game and now they have four play-in games. And they're trying to call it the first round. Very annoying. But you have to give the NCAA credit where it's due. Putting every game on television is long overdue, but it's wonderful. It almost lets me forgive them for the First Four.

Seth Davis said that, though it was somewhat obvious, VCU had to shoot well to beat USC. Well, VCU shot in the mid 30s and still won fairly handily. When will analysts give mid-majors their due? Not yet apparently.

The Morehead State and Richmond games amounted to big wins for me. I saw Morehead State play in the conference tournament and was quite impressed. They have a tough press and a great rebounder in Kenneth Faried. I saw Vanderbilt play in their conference tournament and noted that they gave away a big lead and collapsed when the going got tough.

That's more analysis than Digger Phelps has ever given. I guess I could've pulled a Digger and said, "Duke knows what they need to do and they'll get it done." They should have a contest to see if anyone can come up with more inane analysis.

No comments: