Friday, December 17, 2010

A Night at Roseland Ballroom

I walked into the Roseland Ballroom well before the card was scheduled to start. After going to the bathroom to pee for about the 4th time in an hour, I found a folding chair and settled in for a night of boxing.

Three Jewish fighters were scheduled to fight on the card though two would not make an appearance in the ring. But the Jews were out in full force to support Dmitriy Salita. David Diamonte and his inexplicable dreads took his position as the ring announcer. Diamonte would have a contentious relationship with the DJ throughout the night. The card got off to a roaring start with several knockouts in a row. The Dominican fans were in full throat, even more than the Puerto Rican fans.

One bout featured a double knockdown. One guy never got up. It was just like Rocky II, except they were both making their debut, so it was a somewhat less prestige fight. And it was less dramatic. But it made me think philosophically about the winner. His lowest career moment to date was also his highest career moment to date.

I continued my streak of sitting through the national anthem, which has now reached three consecutive sporting events. I have yet to be heckled.

Matisyahu played Dmitriy Salita into the ring, which was very cool. Salita easily dispensed of his opponent, a late replacement. Afterwards, Matisyahu played another song in the ring.

Apparently, Yuri Foreman and HBO's unofficial judge Harold Lederman were present, but unfortunately I didn't see them. I did, however, see a Jewish boxer named Boyd Melson (1-0) walking around after the fight. I also saw boxing announcer Steve Farhood.

After Matisyahu played and I peed yet again, I left. Outside of the venue, two shiksas with blonde hair who had just seen a play next door were walking past. They evidently knew that Jews would come out to a Salita fight because I heard one joke, "Maybe we should go inside and try to find a husband."

No comments: