Saturday, December 05, 2009

Fight Day

I had work this morning, but overslept. It was a good thing because the streets were quickly covered with snow, so I decided not to go. That gave me more time to think about the fight between Jewish light welterweight Dmitriy Salita and WBA champion Amir Khan. I spent the day reading about dictators, pausing every few pages to walk around and release my nervous energy.

At 3pm, I went searching on the internet for a link to the fight. They came and went. It wasn't until 4pm that I got a good link. In the middle of the Mitchell - Prescott fight, the power flickered. It only affected the computer, which restarted. After a few minutes, I managed to get the link back.

In the build up to the bout, Salita looked loose and relaxed. He walked out to a Matisyahu song with a focused look and a mean beard. The introductions were made and I was pumped up for Salita.

A few seconds later, a combination, thrown with all of Khan's mite, landed just above Salita's lowered hands and on his face. My throat dropped into my stomach. My heart was numb. Salita got up and tried to avoid the oncoming barage. I screamed for him to hang on. He crumbled again. Salita rose once more. The first round clock crawled forward. Khan hit him squarely again. Salita fell again. The fight was over.

No comments: