Monday, November 16, 2009

Dehra Dun to Delhi

I ate at a fancy restaurant in Dehra Dun that accepted a credit card. I spent about $7! It's bathroom also had toilet paper. I noticed it when I went to pee in the middle of the dinner and forced myself to poop by the end. At the train station, there was a guy sitting next to me on a bench. All the other benches were empty. He seemed fairly distraught. He was also draped on top of me. His one hand stayed near my pocket the entire time, no matter which way I moved, as if it was magnetically drawn. A couple times I swatted his other hand away from my arm. Finally, I moved to another bench and he left a minute later, so I went back the original bench because it was more comfrotable.

I got off the train in Delhi at 5:30am and headed for the pre-paid auto-rickshaw stand. After paying only 70 rupees, I stepped off the curb. The pavement was far from flat and I misstepped. My ankle rolled and under the weight of my bag, I fell the the ground. But not before there was a loud "CRUNCH!" A few guys rushed to pick me up. After lifting me, I realized I couldn't put any pressure on that side. I sat down on the curb, anxiety filling up within me.

It's not sever, but it's worse than a mild sprain. I'm just thankful it didn't happen at the beginning of the trip.

I managed to get up after calming down and hobble towards a sea of rickshaws. No one would take me beause I had the pre-paid slip. Eventually a guy did and took me exactly where I wanted to go without trying to trick me. I gave him a tip of 10 rupees. I slowly limped towards the hotel and made my way in after waking someone up.

I asked for a room and when check out would be. He said noon today. I told him I couldn't do that. He told me if I check in at 7am, then I could check out at noon tomorrow and only pay for one day. I said that I'd wait for a half-hour until it was 7am. After a few minutes he told me I didn't have to wait. I jumped up to the 3rd floor (which they call the 2nd floor here, the ground floor is the first). After I was in the room for over 30 minutes, he knocked. I struggled to put some pants on and answer the door. Then he said I had to pay him 200 now and 500 tomorrow because I checked in early. I was actually polite in resisting and didn't have to pay.

I'm down to 1350 rupees. It will be 500 for the room. A sign says 250 for a taxi to the airport. That leaves me with 600. Looks like I'm going to make it. Especially since I can't walk anywhere to spend the money.

No comments: