Sunday, October 04, 2009

Old Delhi

Too much to say. I forgot about the woman who was carrying 20 bricks on her head yesterday. I was stuffed in a metro at one point. My ass has been touched too many times.

Last night, I planned to take a nice stroll through the bazaars in Old Delhi and then grab a bite to eat. Uh. Opps. I think I went at the wrong time. It seemed like there were all billion Indians in that narrow street. And they were all going in the other direction. It was surreal. I had to wade through miles of people. There was just so much going on. I slammed my knee against a motorcycle. Or to put that another, more accurate way, a motorcylce ran into my knee! The bazaars twist and turn, so I totally lost my sense of direction. I ended up at the Jama Masjid, which can hold 25,000 people. I was there during the call to night prays. The power of it was awing (is that a word?).

I walked so much, it took a lot out of me. I got a very mild case of diarrhea, but that was from my own hygenic shortcomings. Independent of that, a got a rash on my tushy from sweat. My groin muscle is also tight and sore from walking. Here you wanted tales of spirituality and delciious food from my trip to India and I give you ring-around-the-asshole.

Today, I saw a Hindi movie, Do Knot Disturb. The theater was really nice. That completes one of my three goals for this trip.

Later, I went back to Old Delhi to see where the train station is. It was more laid back (relatively speaking. At one point, I had to grab the back of a cycle rickshaw and yank myself forward to avoid an oncoming motorcycle. In India, you have to shut down. Tonight, I grasped why. I opened myself up. I can't really explain it. Guys with limbs cut off. Pleading mothers clutching their half-dead babies. But that's not the point. I'm not able to explain everything that flowed through me. All I can say is that I dreamed to be able to process it all, even though I know that will never be possible. And then I ate at McDonald's.

No comments: