Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Allahabad to Varanasi

I did the outdoor dinner and then corner dessert thing again last night that Allahabadasses (Allahabadans?) do. If I were 15 year old and back home, it'd be the perfect date night. Instead, I just sat their awkwardly receiving glares. Ok, so maybe it's not so different.

On the train, there was an old man sitting with his wife and adult son across from me. He took the scarf wrapped around his neck and held it with his left hand as to shield his torso from view. His right arm, bent at the elbow, was behind the scarf and out of sight. His mouth constantly moved open and closed as his lip quiverred. Indentations in the scarf occassionally and rhythmically took the form of his clenched right hand. Maybe he was just meditating.

I think his hand was too high, so I hope he was just meditating, but if not, holy shit, ew!

Now, I'm in Varanasi. My stuff's in the hotel room in Allahabad, where I'll return tomorrow. Varanasi is just about the holiest city for Hindus. This is where the ashes of cremated bodies are scattered. I haven't seen that yet. I did see lots of naked men bathing in the river though. There are also numerous touts and scammers. Agra and Jaipur has trained me and so far things have been fine. An old man did reach out and shake my hand. Then he started to massage it, which is quite weird if you're not expecting it. He said he'd massage me for only 10 rupees. "I don't like being touched by strange men. You could pay me 10 rupees and I wouldn't do it." That was my introduction to the Ganges.

No comments: