Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hiatus

I went clothes shopping for the first time in about five years. I bought my very first pair of khaki shorts. Why this sudden shopping bonanza? I happen to be leaving for Delhi later today.

As always when I travel, I advertise that I'll be on hiatus for a while, only to stumble upon an internet cafe shortly after arriving at my destination. You might be asking, why am I going to India again? What right do you have, you noisy son of a... Well, I'll tell you.

I haven't had Indian food in a while. One reason is because the guys at the local Indian restaurants are starting to recognize me. You know where that leads. First comes recognition, then comes small talk. I don't want that.

Last time I was India, Jerry Falwell died. I recently saw Pat Robertson and he looked terrible. I'm not saying anything. I'm just saying...

The real reason I'm leaving is because I think I'm holding America back. So I'm leaving in the hopes that my absence will help turn things around. I'll come back to a country that affords each of its citizens the right to health care. I'll come back to a country that uses its power to curb the trend of climate change as opposed to occupying foreign lands. I'll come back to a country that will acknowledge and embrace differences. We will all express empathy for every man, woman, and child and live every moment powered by that purpose. But at the very least, don't fuck everything up 'til I get back.

No comments: