Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Spencer and Heidi Meet Nelson Mandela

Reality stars Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag were recently afforded a meeting with the legendary freedom fighter Nelson Mandela. Let's listen in to that conversation, already in progress:

Heidi: School gets in the way of everything. I’m like ready to finish already.
Nelson: Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
Heidi: I like to read a couple books at once. I was reading the Princess Diana book. I’m reading a book about Chicago and the mob. Right now I’m also reading the Bible, beginning to end. I’m very religious. That’s how I’ve gotten to where I am.
Nelson: Religion is one of the most important forces in the world. Whether you are a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew, or a Hindu, religion is a great force, and it can help one have command of one's own morality, one's own behavior, and one's own attitude.
Heidi: I have been the most religious person since I was 2 years old. I always felt this crazy connection to God.
Nelson: Extremists on all sides thrive, fed by the blood lust of centuries gone by.
Heidi: Jesus was persecuted, and I’m going to get persecuted, ya know?
Nelson: There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires. After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
Spencer: It’s my favorite show. I love it. The Hills season 10 is what I’m going for. My hustle is just too crazy. I'm trying to take over the world!
Nelson: The ego lies in the fact that I share it with men and women, some of whom are more capable than me. That is my ego.
Heidi: I used to be so strong, I used to be able to do whatever I want, and then I feel like I've been broken down little by little.
Nelson: One of the most difficult things is not to change society - but to change yourself.
Spencer: I'm trying to live a more positive, holy life, but it takes work. It's hard not sinning, you know?
Nelson: I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying. That was one of the things that worried me - to be raised to the position of a semi-god - because then you are no longer a human being. I wanted to be known as Mandela, a man with weaknesses, some of which are fundamental, and a man who is committed, but nevertheless, sometimes he fails to live up to expectations.
Spencer: Word. I want my face on a lunchbox, too!

Nelson: For all people who have found themselves in the position of being in jail and trying to transform society, forgiveness is natural because you have no time to be retaliative.
Spencer: If you are hanging out with my enemy that makes you my enemy. Do you not see how that works?
Nelson: If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.
Spencer: You're a lot like LC over here.
Heidi: Spencer!

Nelson: There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
Heidi: I plan to win an Oscar. I’m very ambitious.
Spencer: I'm trying to be a billionaire before 30. I definitely want to go into politics later in my life. I plan to be governor, at least, and president if possible.
Nelson: In my country we go to prison first and then become President. It always seems impossible until it's done.

Nelson: We charge you with the responsibility to lead our peoples and Continent into the new world of the next century.

After meeting the legendary Nelson Mandela:
Spencer: Just so you know, when I met him, I was like, this is who I would've voted for the president of the United States.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it!