Thursday, June 25, 2009

2009 NBA Draft Preview

I had a great idea for this year's draft preview. Of the players rumored to be going to the Wizards at #5, Mike would give me 2 players he hopes they pick and 2 he hopes they won't. I'd do the same for the Knicks at #8 and Ian would follow suit with the Bobcats at #12. It would have been a sort of: Get the fan's perspective type of thing.

Well, it fell apart. The Wizards traded away the #5 pick (I can report that Mike likes the trade). Ian is a lazy bum, who is spending his birthday weekend at Disney World. I hope the Knicks don't pick Brandon Jennings, but other than him, I like the prospects of gaining a helpful player. This year's draft is fairly weak in terms of potential superstars. There are some intriguing players- guys who have had good college careers, but aren't sure-things in the NBA. I'm interested to see where Eric Maynor goes.

With the weak Draft, and so many things going on in the world, I'd be remiss to spend too much space on the Draft. Shit's going crazy in Iran. The situation is a little like when a parent scolds a child in public; you can snicker at the display, but you shouldn't meddle. That's the course America should take. That's also the plan I've endorsed when there was talk of a possible invasion or military strike. I said that young people in Tehran were becoming fed up with the regime and just needed an event to spark their outrage.

Then you have Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina, who disappeared for a few days. I have to admit, when I heard he was away, I knew he was fucking something. No one goes hiking and doesn't tell anyone about it. Hiking is not a shameful activity. You say you're going hiking and then go fuck someone. That's usually the way these things work.

I like this. Saying I knew things would happen after the fact. It's the easiest way to be right.

No comments: