Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Beard Diaries

How do you say goodbye to a friend you've been with every day for the past 6 years? It's difficult, even if it is only for a couple of weeks.

I now realize that I haven't just been a guy with a beard; I am a beard guy.

It was a decision that I instantly regretted. Apparently, underneath my well-placed facial hair is a guy who looks like a redneck. A retarded redneck. And not a very attractive retarded redneck at that. I could've sworn I used to have a top lip. Where did it go? It seems to have slowly receded into my mouth undetected over the years using my mustache as cover. It doesn't help that I look like I'm 10 years old either...

After staring into the mirror for a while, I feel a little better. Maybe I'm not so ugly after all. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to. Still, why is the patch of skin between my chin and my neck so droopy? That's really the problem right now. I hope that goes away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you have to use the word retarded to describe how you look? Slurs and stereotypes can hurt any way you look at it.
As the mom of a child with special needs I just don't understand why people ever use the words retard or retarded in a demeaning way. People with special needs have feelings. I'm sure there are a lot of other choices you could have used without hurting someone in the process.
Think about it, will you?
Thanks for listening.

knibilnats said...

should i have said "a special needs redneck?" instead of "retarded redneck?" it doesn't matter whether you label your child as a retard or "a child with special needs," the fact of the matter is that you've labeled your child. that can be more harmful than anything i can say.

what about the word "rednecks?" you're not offended by that? maybe because it doesn't apply to your situation. interesting.

the bottom line is: i wish the best for your child and no more pc bs here, thanks.