Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Beard Diaries, Entry #3

I wrote on a piece of paper "shaved" and put it by my bed so I wouldn't get scared when I look at myself in the mirror when I wake up.

I'm starting to get used to my face. Maybe I'm not so ugly. The hair is growing back furiously though. I can actually feel the hair on my chin sprouting. I have a dusting in the shape of a beard on my face except my chin is more of an African desert. But I did walk into a 7-11 with chocolate smeared on the side of my mouth, which wouldn't have happened if I had the beard. I didn't realize about the chocolate until I got home.

One thing I was worried about when I shaved was whether or not I would look gentiley. If I did, I don't think I do anymore. But that brings me to one of my favorite situations. I love when black people trip up when wishing happy holidays to Jews, "Merry Christma- I mean, Happy Hanukah. Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I should've known better. Seriously, I'm really sorry."

In my experience, black people are distraught after making such a mistake, probably because they've so often been on the other side of that kind of culturally sensitive awkwardness. They know how it feels. But in an attempt to apologize, the reaction goes way overboard. So I usually answer back, "Don't worry about it. Let's get something to eat. How 'bout chicken?"
Which leads to, "What did you just say?"
To which I reply, "We're even. Now let's just move on."

No comments: