Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Times' Endorsements

The HarazQuack Times endorsements will have a bigger impact than anything endorsed by the New York Times... at least for my family.

If you have read one word of this blog, you will know that I endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States.

For Maryland's 8th Congressional District, I endorse Gordon Clark of the Green Party. The Democrat, Chris Van Hollen, will win easily, but it is important to send a message to the Democratic Party that it needs to uphold a more progressive agenda. Van Hollen recently came around to the position of withdrawing (many of) the troops from Iraq. It would be irresponsible to call this a flip flop, situations change, but it was a judgement that he made too late. Clark is serious about the environmental crisis that we face and is not concerned with party politics that can sometimes prevent real change. Send a message to the Democrats and vote for Gordon Clark.

In the Board of Education races, I endorse Phil Kaufman for the at large spot and Laura Berthiaume in District 2.

I am voting for Question 1 because it would make it easier to vote for people who are unable to do so on Election Day. I'm voting against Question 2, because I do not support slots in Maryland. Less than half of the revenue will go towards education and, as PG County Executive Jack Johnson states, it is essentially a tax on poor people who may turn to slots for hope. I am for Question A because it would clean up the County Charter, repealing three sections that have been rendered moot by judges' decisions. I am voting against Question B because it gives too much power to any one Councilmember.

I do not endorse the way the Buffalo Bills have played the last two weeks.

No comments: