Wednesday, November 05, 2008

America Fulfilling Its Promise

Barack Obama is the next President of the United States of America.

A country built on the backs of slaves has elected a black man to lead us. This is a wonderful moment in American history. It is a most memorable occasion for black Americans. It is a proud day for all Americans. For me personally, it has a special meaning.

When we are young, we are told that we can become anything we want because we live in America. When I was five years old, I wanted to be the president when I grew up. At the time, I did not realize how silly it was for a Jew to hold that ambition. Barack Obama's election is another step towards America fulfilling its promise. While I will never be president, it is not because I'm Jewish. Tonight, all parents can more honestly tell their children that they can grow up to be whatever their abilities will allow.

But this would mean nothing if not for the personal qualities of Barack Obama. Symbols are nice, but they require substance to give them meaning. His election must not pacify this widespread desire for change. It must not cover the omnipotent injustices that still haunt this nation. Instead, it must fuel a desire to make this country a better one in which to live. I believe Barack Obama will work for the good of the nation and the world.

And if he can't turn things around, let's throw the bum out!

No comments: