Friday, October 03, 2008

The Vice Presidential Debate

This is what I wrote before the debate...

What I expect at the VP debate tonight

What if Sarah Palin really isn't that stupid? Maybe she's just playing us all in order to lower expectations of her performance. Either way, the expectations are low. Politics are all about expectations.

I expect Palin to look just stupid enough to continue to frighten every liberal at the prospect of her attaining the presidency, yet to just exceed expectations enough to receive praise from much of the media.

I don't expect Joe Biden to win the debate easily and he will lose it in terms of expectations. He'll either come across as a bully, say a few stupid things, or (most likely) both. I've got the over/under on stupid things Joe Biden will say in the debate at 4. Biden has always been regarded as somewhat dim, only slightly more intelligent that a mentally challenged chimpanzee and with none of the cuteness.

But many people are missing the point. Elections in America have never been about who is smarter, they're about who is more popular. The history of the American presidency is filled with men who were semi-literate, right up until today.

I'd like to see a robust exchange of ideas about the various crises we face, but that's about as likely as chess supplanting NASCAR as the most popular sport in the South. In any event, it should be entertaining.
______________________________________________

I would change two things. Instead of stupid comments from Joe Biden, I would change that to off-putting comments. Also, I didn't expect Joe Biden to utilize the goofy and inappropriate smile throughout.

I've come to the conclusion that Sarah Palin is probably a robot- albeit an adorable one. Press the button and you get several catchphrases: "John McCain has stared evil right in the face" "I am a maverick" "Gosh darn." Joe Biden's manner of speech is like a snowball of rage.

In the end, Biden was more substantive (it would've been hard not to), Palin exceeded expectations (also would've been hard not to). But there was a loser tonight, the American people.

No comments: