Friday, October 24, 2008

The True Mark of Greatness

You don't have to be a presidential candidate to reach the level of greatest. Often, greatness comes in the small things we do for the people we care about. That can be in the form of a well-timed smile or a much-needed hug. It can be a slight inconvenience to you, but something that means the world to somebody else. Or it can be in helping a child.

Here now is some of the gratitude I've received from children, who I have had an impact on in their lives...

One 5 year old boy pointed at me and asked, "Is that a mustache?"
"Yes," I responded, "and I have a beard."
"You look like a monster. A goofy monster!"
I thought to myself, "I don't need this shit at 9:15 on a Saturday morning."

An 8 year old girl told me, "I went to the doctor and he said I'm not allergic to anything. But I wish I was allergic to something. I wish I was allergic to you."
I responded, "Nice to meet you too."

Another day, the same girl walked into the room, saw me, and said, "Not you again. I hate you!"

Yet another day, this same girl again said to me, "You're Mr. Meany," because I missed a couple of grammatical mistakes that I later caught.

Children have also called me ugly, they said my breath stank even though I know it didn't because I just spit out my gum two seconds before, they've called me stupid, and have noticed my diminutive height (I'm still much taller than them!).

So you see, greatness has less to do with ruling a nation and more to do with your impact on the life of a child. And if my interactions with children are any indication, I'm about as great as the fundamentals of the American economy.

No comments: