Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Young and Bloody

This is not a post about the valiant MDC supporters fighting to give power to the people of Zimbabwe. It is about my trip from the metro to the Eyedea & Abilities concert.

We had to jump a fence and my hand was sliced worse than Robert Mugabe sliced the future of Zimbabwe. My hand is cut from my ring finger all the way down my hand and onto my wrist. I guess things could be worse. I could have fled Zimbabwe because of incredible inflation, lack of jobs, lack of food, and lack of prospects, to South Africa, only to face violence against me there. Or I could have been viciously lied to.

We had to show ID at the door of the show. A bouncer, who was sitting in a chair, looked at my drivers license, then looked back up at me. Then he looked back at the license, then back at me. Then he put the license up and compared me and to the picture.

The bouncer told another bouncer, "He's 26." The second guy asked me, "Do you get shit when you shave?" A little surprised, I answered, "I haven't shaved in like forever." He said, "Ah, you don't even want to deal with it, do you? Good shit."

It's been a couple of years since any kid has asked me, "Hey buddy are you 18?" [Yes] "Can you buy me cigarettes?" [No] so I figured I was looking older. Evidently not. You know who looks plenty old? Robert Mugabe. He's so old, his face is just one big wrinkle.

Stand up Zimbabwe!

No comments: