Thursday, April 24, 2008

NBA Playoffs Update

Some musings from the various playoff series:

Cleveland/Washington - I could be at least as productive as DeShawn Stevenson in the playoffs. He shot 1-9 in Game 1. Give me 9 shots in an NBA game, I think I could make at least one of them. I also think I could play defense up to Setevenson's standard. I would have no trouble standing in front of LeBron James as he dribbles past me for yet another monster jam. But here's the key difference. I would keep my mouth shut. I wouldn't wave my hand in front of my face after making a meaningless shot. I wouldn't call LeBron overrated; after all, at least he's rated.

Gilbert Arenas should also shut up. He believes that he's the games best fourth quarter player. In the same vein, Chris Dodd still thinks he will be the next president. Brendon Haywood should have been ejected for his hard foul in Game 2, but rightly wasn't suspended. I feel bad for Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison. They are the true leaders of the team, but they have been overshadowed by their teammates yapping their big mouths.

Houston/Utah - Houston's 0-2 deficit is not Tracy McGrady's fault. The Rockets have been decimated by injuries. But it is a good indication that McGrady is not in the elite class of NBA players. He's very good and he's giving everything he has. He also has given maximum effort in the playoffs. But if he was truly one of the games greatest, his team would win a first round series.

New Orleans/Dallas - I was wrong about the Hornets. They have shown maturity in the playoffs. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. They've only won two playoff games. As good as Chris Paul has been, let's enjoy his meteoric rise as oppose to preemptively anointing him as the game's best point guard. Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups have done it when it counts the most, both winning Finals MVPs. Steve Nash has won two regular season MVPs. Paul still has some work to be done. And if Dallas' collapse in the 2006 Finals and their first round lost last season hasn't lingered, they have the players to come back in this series.

Orlando/Toronto - Wow, Dwight Howard has impressed me. The Magic defense funnels their man into the vortex that is Howard and he swats any ball within arm's length. But similar to Paul, let's not rate Howard better than he is just yet. He's had two incredible games thus far. It takes a little more to cement your legacy in the NBA.

Lakers/Denver - I heard a lot of experts picking Denver here, I hope there is some accountability. That was really a dumb pick. I had Denver winning twice in the series and they still could do that. But they simply don't play any defense. I like Marcus Camby. He’s a former Knick. But his defensive numbers are inflated because he has a lot more opportunities to black shots in close, because the other team has usually driven right by one his teammates.

No comments: