Saturday, March 08, 2008

Letter from an Iraqi

I do not understand this notion of the Americans when they ask the question "Are things better now than before?" If the situation is bad, it is bad. If people do not have water to drink, food to eat, or electricity, if the noise of explosions is heard all day long, what does is matter if the situation was worse yesterday?

The Americans divide our time into two sections, revolving around Saddam Hussein's ouster. My countrymen divide our time at the same point, but we think of it differently. We divide in terms of the American war in our country.

The Americans say that it is better for us now than when Saddam Hussein ruled because we have freedom and democracy. When Saddam Hussein was in power, I never criticised him publicly and I was safe. Now, I do not say anything of political consequence because I fear for my life. Any statement would provoke vengeance from a particular group. I did not vote when Saddam Hussein was in power because it would grant him unwarranted legitimacy. I do not vote now because my vote would only help to solidify the sectarian rift in my country.

When the war started, there was chaos. That chaos lasted for several years. Now, we see American troops more often. We are not allowed to use a car or take a bus, because there is a vehicle ban in my city. The American soldiers stop us every few blocks to question our intentions. When I leave my house, I fear that the Americans will misinterpret my actions and shoot me. The Americans talk of a decrease in violence. These restrictive practices have resulted in fewer deaths of American soldiers. But Iraqi deaths are still ubiquitous and they have stripped the living of our freedom.

Unsigned

No comments: