Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday

It just hit me. What would a Super Tuesday preview look like? Ok true, I guess you could just hop on over to CNN.com or MSNBC,com and find out. Ok then, what would a good Super Tuesday preview look like?

I have no idea. People in many states are going to vote in the Republican or Democratic primary later today. The results will be tallied. There are polls, but they might be wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

I must admit that I've been reconsidering voting for Bill Richardson in favor of Barack Obama. I don't want to vote for Obama just because Richardson is out of the race, but I don't want to vote for Richardson because I'm too stubborn to change my mind.

I agree with Richardson on more issues than I do with Obama. No Child Left Behind should be scrapped. Money should not be wasted on building a worthless wall on the border with Mexico. Perhaps the most important, every drop of American presence needs to leave Iraq. Our presence there makes Al Qaeda relevant, reflecting the anti-American sentiment that most Iraqis feel. Without American presence in Iraq, Al Qaeda becomes a bunch of heartless foreign troublemakers.

However, in reality, they're not too far apart on the issues. I've been very impressed with Obama's ability to cope with the Clintons' attacks. He has a way of firing back that is biting, but doesn't make you feel bad. More importantly, I believe that he would be able to bring people of differing political views together, without compromising the foundation of his ideology. Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were two of the most partisan presidents we've had in a while. We need someone who can transcend these differences. The Obama era might be the end of partisanship and the beginning of a liberal revival in America.

Finally, I hope Hillary Clinton doesn't steal the election. Obama was up big in the polls in New Hampshire the day before the election, but Clinton won. If she lost, it might have ended her hopes for the nomination. Obama won bigger than expected in South Carolina, perhaps to ease any suspicion of foul play. This loss wouldn't hurt Clinton much if they could portray the Obama victory as largely due to black voters. In fact, it might even play to their advantage as they attempted to marginalize Obama as a "black candidate" and prey on the ugly instincts of some white voters. If change is more than just a buzzword for Obama, I pray that he succeeds and he stays healthy.

No comments: