Friday, January 18, 2008

Why Not Listen?

I've heard many people say that this world needs more love. Personally, I think they're full of shit. Love is overrated.

I'm worried about a new trend across the globe. That is the trend of only seeking out information that reinforces one's own belief system. We need to listen to one another more, no matter how fucking crazy the opinion. We need to have the capacity to empathize with each other, despite the apparent mental imbalance of the other person.

A guy told me a story where he broke into the house of an Iraqi family. Once inside, he wouldn't leave and just destroyed the place. The kicker was he actually blamed the family for not fixing their house in a timely manner. The family begged him to just leave and they would take care of their own shit. The guy told me that even before he left their house, he was already thinking about breaking into the house next door. I hope somebody stops him.

You know, it's obvious that this guy has "his own reality" to put it nicely. But it's important not to dismiss him or anyone else who has a drastically different point of view, morality, or vision of the world.

No comments: