Monday, June 11, 2007

In Margao

This was my 10 minute walk from the internet place to my hotel last night:

Lawrence Taylor once said, "Let's go out like a pack of crazed dogs (and have some fun)." Well I didn't run into the New York Giants from the 1980s, but I did walk into a pack of (wild) crazed dogs. They weren't too happy to see me either. I scurried past them into another canine feud. Then in the dark alley towards my hotel, I slipped on something. It was another giant dead rat.

I made it into my hotel and bumped into the receptionist. He had been nice to me upon arrival (maybe a little too nice). He was intent on having a conversation with me and lightly grabbed my wrist, just like, as I've mentioned, is customary among men in India. Then he gave me a very passionate tight hug out of nowhere, as if we had been dear friends. I thought, 'Ok, that was weird.' Then he placed his hand on my tummy. My brain sent out a high alert warning: Make sure his hand doesn't fall any lower! Then he gave me another big hug and asked, "Do you know where your room is or do you need me to come up with you?" I said I knew where it was and went to my room alone.

I woke up at 6:30am to watch Game 2 of the NBA Finals. But the fucking cable was out! I asked the staff, but no one could help me. Finally I told that same receptionist. He said the cable was out in all of Margao. I told him about the game and he said, "Oh, so sad." Listen buddy, your family dying is "so sad," this is a fucking catastrophe! The cable's still not back and I haven't check the score in hopes I can catch a replay today. I had a premonition that Cleveland won 91-87, but that goes against my belief that the Spurs will win the series easily.

Margao (also known as Madgaon) has one of the highest populations in Goa along with the capital, Panaji. Yet is has the second least population of any place I've been in India (Hampi has fewer people), including Hospet. Margao is different from the other places I've been in India and I understand that it's also very different from the rest of Goa. It's nearly as hectic as Bangalore (maybe a bit of an exaggeration). There is a subtle and not so subtle Portuguese influence for sure. Buildings seem to be in better shape in general, but I can't say that they're "western style." People know how to deal with tourists here, which is good and bad. The rickshaw drivers and various tourist van drivers are worse than Mangalore (not a fair comparison), but not unbearable. There's a couple of nice malls even. And a Domino's pizzaria! But it's still in India and has all of the familiar sights of elsewhere. Plenty of vendors. There are cows on the streets (like just about everywhere, strangely not Mangalore). There's Indian food. I had chicken vindaloo (a Goan dish) for lunch and it wasn't great. I see more "western style" clothing on people's bodies here.

Tomorrow morning I leave for Mumbai. I should arrive, G-d willing, at around 10pm tomorrow. My flight, hopefully, takes off 6am on Wednesday. I'm praying everything works out.

"So when I find a pot of gold I solemnly swear to share everything I've seen and everything I've heard, everything I've touched and everything I've learned." Treason (from NC) - More.

1 comment:

OhMyHeart said...

Hi!

I am an intern at theU.com this summer, and I'm scouring the web for student bloggers. I was wondering if you still are one - a student I mean. I saw your post from a year ago about the Mason-Uconn facebook war and loved it!

If you are still an undergrad student and would like to make some money writing and editing our blogs, which will be launched in the fall and are a cross between CollegeHumor.com and PerezHilton.com, please let me know! I'll give you more clarification.

Thanks!
Emma
emma.dozier[at]theU.com