Monday, December 26, 2005

Fantasy Football Sorrow

I had battled my way to the championship game of the Suck My Sonderweg Thesis Fantasy Football League. It was really a multi-year journey to reach the pinnacle of the fantasy football world. It began when I was a sophomore in high school and with the help of my grandpa, we persuaded ma to allow me to play fantasy football if it wouldn't negatively impact my grades. I wouldn't achieve grades that good until sophomore year of college. Of course, in those days you had to pay to play. Well, I missed the playoffs by one game that season.

Many years later I got the fantasy football itch again. I was the league commissioner. The league was a success, but I barely missed the playoffs again. The following year played a familiar tune.

That brings us to this season. I knew I would perform better. The start of the season proved my prediction to be correct. After a bit of a rollercoaster ride, I made the playoffs finally. My knowledge of sports was vindicated to a degree. But I didn't just make the playoffs, I was the hottest team going in.

I beat the only team in the league with more seasonal points than me in the first round. Then came the finals against my old nemesis.

Mike had beaten my new nemesis, Dewain, in the other semifinal. There was a time when I could not beat Mike in any fantasy sport, but things had changed in the last year. The tide had turned to the point where Mike could not buy a win against me. Two injuries hampered my chances, but I was confident. I started the weekend with a strong start. Palmer, Holt, Cadillac, and even the wonderful Bills' kicker Lindell all reached double figures.

Palmer threw a late interception, while Mike's David Gerrard grabbed a couple late scores to put him in a better position. Portis threw for a TD and ran for one, which didn't help me any. I sat Willie Parker, who had a big day, for Moats, who struggled.

But I had a 71-49 lead heading into Sunday. Mike had three players left, all from the lowly Ravens. Mark Clayton had the best game of his career, catching a 49-yard TD pass to put my comfortable lead in jeopardy.

My dreams of fantasy glory ended this way:
3-6-BAL 27 (5:44) (Shotgun) K.Boller pass to M.Clayton ran ob at BLT 46 for 19 yards (D.Sharper). [tie]
1-10-BAL 46 (5:12) K.Boller pass incomplete to D.Mason. PENALTY on MIN-S.Cowart, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at BLT 46 - No Play.
1-10-MIN 49 (5:05) C.Taylor left guard to MIN 43 for 6 yards (E.James).
2-4-MIN 43 (4:25) J.Lewis right guard to MIN 24 for 19 yards (D.Sharper). [2 point lead for Mike]

It's been a long climb back to the place of sports genius that I once held back in my youth. Clearly the journey has not ended yet. It's obvious what I know have to do...

Put everything else in my life on hold and focus solely on sports. Good bye friends.

No comments: