Friday, July 01, 2005

A Baseball Fan's Sorrow

It would seem as if I have nothing to feel sorrowful about. My new team, the Washington Nats, are in first place. After 15 years of cheering for the Atlanta Braves, I knew it was time for a move in my allegiance. Many issues such as John Rocker, an overall fading interest in baseball, and the frustration with other Braves fans, had been wearing on my loyalties to the Braves. I had made up my mind years ago, when the rumors first began, that I would root for my hometown Washington team, whenever they would come into existence.

As we know the Braves have been one of the most successful teams in history over the last 15 years. Only the first year that I followed them, when they finished last, have they not made the playoffs (excluding the 1994 strike-shortened season). Now, I'm rooting for the Nats and not only are they in first, but they're preventing the Braves from maintaining their streak.

I've been lucky enough to go to four Nats games, where we're 3-1. Each has been very exciting.

So what do I have to feel sorrow about?

Well, one of my favorite players on the Nats is Brian Schneider. He is a great defensive catcher and leaves his heart out on the field. With his name, there was the distinct possibility that he was also Jewish. So, today, I did some research to find out.

I checked various lists of current Jewish baseball players. Nothing. Also Jason Marquis is Jewish, good to know. Then I tried to find profiles about Schneider. Most turned up nothing, until I found an MLB profile. This sentence, I believe, exposes his true religious persuasion...

"I moved into a new house. Signing the contract before Christmas was a great present."

My world collapsed. We all need heroes. Someone up there that in him you see a reflection of yourself. You can say, "That's not me, but he's like me." By being born a gentile, Brian Schneider took that from me. To have a Jew on my favorite team would have been something special. But don't worry Brian, I'll still root for you all the same.

No comments: