Monday, June 06, 2005

Not Thinking Straight

I'm not sure if today's post will be coherant or not because I'm surrounded by screaming teenagers. I'm in between two huys playing the same computer gaem together yelling aty each other through their headphones. Shut the fuck up, da both of youse!

We left the apartment today to go meet some parents from our school and hand out some flyers. The one guy (I call him Abbott to the principal's Costello), he might have been the vice pricipal or something (nobody speaks enough English in order to tell me exactly what the hell he'd doing there), wanted us to work about 5 or 6 hours today, instead of having a day off, like we were supposed to.

So we told him that we'd do as much as we felt like. We didn't get very far from the apartment when we met Laverne (Shirley wasn't there this time) and Abbott. Abbott told us that we would not be meeting parents and in fact had no idea that he had ever told us to do that. Instead we were going to teach a class because some teacher was "sick." When was this class? Right then!

I told him that we were not scheduled to teach on Mondays so that we didn't have to. That's the way they do business here. If you don't say "no" they exploit you as far as they possibly can. After I told him that we weren't scheduled to, he said, "No not you. Only him go," pointing at Sherkhan.

I've been much more forceful in my demands than Sherkhan. He is staying much longer and wants to maintain good working relations with these bums. I don't care so much. My attitude is fuck 'em. They've lied so much to us that I don't care about them at all anymore. But I'm glad that they now know that I don't fuck around. Whenver I speak up against some injustice that they're trying to pull, they always say, "no, not you, him go." Clowns.

I saw the elderly lady who gave me back my shirt. I said "ni hao" and then she explained something to me in Chinese. I didn't get it. Moments later there was a knocking at the door. It was her. I can understand a little bit of Chinese. She was searching for the "drip drip drip" that she kept hearing. She went into the kitchen and said, "hmm, meo (nothing)." Then explained to me that it was the air conditioner. I understood a little bit of what she was saying. But now she's creeping me out a bit.

As far as anything Jewish, I'm pretty much it. Back in Shijiahuan I saw a Hassidic Jew walking the other way at the train station. He didn't see us and we were in a hurry or I would've said something. I have little doubt that we were the only 2 Jews in the city at that point.

No comments: