Sunday, March 20, 2005

Round 2 Review, Sunday

Again, of the six games that I could have won, I won all six. The day started off with an upset that helped me out tremendously. NC State's experience and determination was too much for UCONN. Charlie Villanueva looked confused on defense, and the Wolfpack took full advantage. In an exhilarating game, NC State was added to the list of teams that have made me look smarter than I am.

Villanova had an easier time with Florida than most people thought. I was a bit torn on this game. I knew Florida was hot, and that momentum helps in the tournament. I also knew that they had struggled for most of the rest of the season. Villanova had been consistent all year long, and simply has a better team. Of course, we all know by now, that having the better team doesn't always mean that much. It raised an eyebrow of mine when the seeds came out and Florida was higher ranked than Villanova. So I went with Villanova.

UNC has looked the most impressive of any team in the tourney thus far. But MAs in bracketology know that that means little for the rest of the journey. Oklahoma State looked even more tournament impressive than UNC did. That's a strange statement, but Oklahoma State battled by a tough Southern Illinois team largely without Joey Graham who was laced with fouls. While UNC has won their two games easily, Oklahoma State has shown that they can win even when all the gears aren't greased.

The Louisville-Georgia Tech game was a bit misleading. Louisville should have had a much better seed. Georgia Tech should have had a worse seed. This game was really a #2 vs. a #7 and the results show that to be true. Wisconsin beat Bucknell, not too much to say about that. I must regretfully admit that I filled out two pools this year. This is against all my morals, but not to fear, my second pool was filled with crazy selections. One of which was NC State in the finals. The finals of the whole tournament not the regional! So I'm not saying anything right now, but before you claim that the door is wide open for Wisconsin to advance, the same can be said for NC State. That is to say, it'll be a good game.

Michigan State beat Vermont in the "Make David look like an idiot Game." Duke and Mississippi State had a hard fought game. Duke does look vulnerable, but they haven't played any really good or hot teams yet. They may not have to until the Final Four, or they may have to.

Now we must wait until Thursday until the tournament starts up again. At least there's a break from the redundancy of the commercials.

No comments: