Thursday, May 04, 2023

Sleepless Nights and Arthur's Seat

The power didn't come on until the morning. I had trouble sleeping and went down at 4:30am to complain about the lack of power. The night shift worker tried to help. He let me charge our stuff in the room next door, which was a much smaller room. I tried to sleep there with a noise machine, but this hotel requires a keycard to close the blinds and it gets light at 5am.

I charged our phones and tried to sleep back in our room. I finally fell asleep at about 6:30am. I had to wake up at 7:30am to help Candace ready for her conference. I went back to sleep at about 9am and slept until noon. The kids had slept in and were playing nicely.

Candace had sent me messages that things were not going well at the conference. The rooms at the convention center were too narrow for the scooter and the food was terrible.

The kids and I walked to Arthur's Seat, a mountain a couple of miles from the hotel. It was very windy during the entire day. Talk wanted us to take a certain path that was closed due to possible me rock slides, steep cliffs, and general danger. it was fenced off, but Talk insisted that was the way to go. While getting yelled at, I pushed through until we found an acceptable path to Tali.

The wind blew dirt in Abie's eye, so he was suffering most of the walk up. We got very high when I realized we were close to the edge and the wind was trying to push us off. I started to have a fear of height-related panic attack, so we decided to head back down.

We wanted a fish and chips restaurant but couldn't find a good one that was open. So we went back to the hotel and looked for one nearby. There was one on Victoria Street. We had delicious fish, chips that were like fry a shaped mashed potatoes, fried haggis, a fried Mars bar, and sticky forget pudding. We loved it. We got back to the hotel to find Candace waiting outside our door. She told us about her tough day due to Edinburgh's poor record on accessibility. We got Candace the same food for takeaway but she didn't like it as much. In retaliation for Edinburgh's lack as accessibility she has been calling the city "Eden-burrow" in the streets as loudly as possible.

No comments: