Wednesday, May 03, 2023

In Edinburgh

We had a relaxing morning in the hotel. I woke up hours before everyone and booked our tickets to the castle. The castle was not great for Candace. The path is mostly stone, which makes for a jarring ride on the mobility scooter. Stairs prevented her from seeing some of the exhibits.

The kids like it at the beginning. The love climb iron cannons, a habit they picked up from visiting Civil War battlefields. They liked how high up we were. But the exhibits didn't really capture their attention. There were roo many people. And I think they became tired and hungry. Candace heard the one o'clock salute, but we missed it. We saw the prisoners quarters which is shielded from the sun. They got hammocks to relax it and got to play games like dominos. They even had meals prepared and served to them. Maybe I missed the point.

We then walked to get hand pies for lunch. Cheap and delicious. I had the haggis pie, which was quite good. This place was accessible, but Edinburgh has a big problem with wheelchair accessibility. Many stores and restaurants have one step to get in. The curb cuts are there, but sometimes very steep. They're definitely not uniform. Of course, the stones on the a Royal Mile are no fun. It's hilly, so there are lots of stairs. So Candace has been frustrated.

After the pies, we got ice cream. Then we went back to the hotel. Candace mapped and the rest of us watched gameshows. A few hours later, the kids and I went for a walk that turned into an arduous trek.

We climbed up Granny Green stairs to the castle. Then we made our way to Princes Street. We walked to the National Monument and Talk had a meltdown. She wanted to wall a long way out of the way to get a view of the city that we already had where we were. She kept screaming at me.

I managed to calm her down. She fell and I carried her for a bit. Then we bunny hopped down some stairs. Abide wanted attention too so I carried him a bit too. Then we all had bathroom emergencies.

My stomach had been acting up and that haggis pie wanted out, so I darted into a fancy hotel. I apologized and asked if I could take the kids to the toilet. The receptionist was showed up to the loo. It was one of the nicest bathrooms that I've even seen. The kids were thrilled.

We walked a long way to the grocery store and picked up some food and and treats. We came back and ate. I went to heat up Candace as food and the kitchen lost power. Then the TVs went out. So that's where we are.

No comments: