Tuesday, June 17, 2008

See You In Another Life

A while back Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko and I split up. It was very sad. Turns out she was already married.

Apparently, she has been wed to Oleksandr Tymoshenko since 1979. I had no idea! She never mentioned him, except for the one time I met him. Before he came over, Yulia said, "I want you to meet my friend." There was nothing in their interactions that suggested they were anything more. Maybe 29 years of marriage has killed every hint of romance. I knew his name was also Tymoshenko, but I just thought that was a common last name in Ukraine, like Smith in America. How was I supposed to know?

It feels like a Roman Greenberg punch in the stomach. It's like she ripped my heart out of my chest, stomped on it with her high heels and short miniskirt and then sat on it with her plump curvaceous tuchis. I was the idealistic young MDC organizer and she was the ZANU-PF goon, ripping apart my faith in humanity. I just don't understand it. Why wouldn't she tell me?

It's not good for me that she has a husband, but it's more upsetting that she kept it from me and lied to me. The way I found out was even worse. I saw the sorry news on Wikipedia, which in hindsight I probably should have checked earlier. But I trusted her. I don't know of a worse way to find out; perhaps learning about it on Facebook or MySpace is worse, but it's debatable.
As much as it hurts to lose her, even if she left her husband, I'm not sure I'd take her back. How can I trust her again? She would have to go above and beyond to earn that back. I'm not sure she's willing to do that. So here is where it ends. To quote Oi Va Voi, "Guess it wasn't meant to be. I can only rationalize. See you in another life."

"Wish we could start again."

No comments: