Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Steroid Era

The Mitchell Report landed last Thursday and it confirmed what we already suspected, performance-enhancing drugs were rampant in Major League Baseball over the last decade plus.

It was a sad moment in the history of baseball and in my life. I am 25 years old, so that period includes my childhood. I've learned that my childhood heroes were mostly cheats. I never believed in fairytales; I've known tragedy. With this news it's evident that even the fun things are tainted. Those great moments from my youth that baseball provided were frauds. People who are my age and young are probably members of the most cynical generation in history. There are few goods things in this world. That list seems to be shrinking.

There were a few names from the Mitchell Report that were especially personal to me. They include: Nook Logan, Mike Stanton, and Kent Merker. Last week I took down a picture of David Justice that I've had on my wall for many years.

No comments: