Saturday, June 02, 2007

Mysore to Cochin

A woman sat down next to me in an internet cafe in Mysore. "We've met before," she said in a German accent, "In Hampi, you were scared of the elephant." Yep, I didn't even tell you about the elephant in Hampi.

In the big Virupakshu Temple that overlooks the Hampi bazaar, there's an elephant. If you put a coin in the elephant's trunk, it swings it's huge trunk over to its trainer and gives him the coin. Then it takes that trunk and thanks you by "patting" you on the head. At one point the elephant turned to face me. I grabbed a small boy to shield myself from the elephant and eventually threw him at the huge beast and ran for my life. Ok ok, the part with the boy didn't happen, but it's a better story than: "I took a few fright-filled steps back."

I never got to see the Australian guy, Trent, again. I left him a note wishing him luck with the rest of his trip. An Austrian guy joined me at the end of my dinner last night. I saw a cute nerdy American girl checking into my hotel just as I was grabbing my bag to leave for Cochin. We both smiled and gave each other a shy "Hi." Of course it would work out that way.

I was sitting at the bus station when this nice looking white bus pulled in. I hoped that was my bus. Then a broken-down pink bus pulled in front. I walked to the white bus and sure enough that was mine, 'Whew.' I got to my seat and it was broken. That's David-luck. I don't get the shit side of the stick; I get the good side that happens to have shit on it. The seat was slanted as if the right side was smashed in. But on the bus, in the broken seat, I got a good feeling. I appreciate my life and my situation. I've been able to take my dead relatives and show them India, because I know they're here with me. I am protected. I thought about the miracle that is a loving family and loving friends, especially ma. I know I am blessed not only to be here in India, but alive. Praise be to G-d. The guy next to me (a nice guy, who helped me see my CD player with the light from his cell phone) eventually left and I took his seat.

Right now I'm on Jew street in the Ernakulam part of Cochin. There's nothing Jew about it. I think fish replaces chicken here and the food is spicier than Karnataka. There are also more Vegatarian restaurants. That's really all I can say about Cochin for now.

No comments: