Sunday, January 14, 2007

Divisional Round Recap

The NFL playoffs have been quite exciting this year, especially in the AFC. This must be what the AFC playoffs during the 1970s were like, great teams playing close games at a high level. The Colts beat the Ravens in a field goal game. It was the second defensive game in a row that the Colts won. I believe that this is their year (as my playoff prediction shows). New England just won the other AFC game thanks to another Tom Brady late-game drive. A great play by Troy Brown, who stripped the Chargers' Marlon McCree of the ball after an interception was crucial. The Patriots just know how to win and unfortunately Marty Schottenheimer just knows how to lose big games.

Now the old rivals meet and the winner goes to the Super Bowl. The Colts finally have a home game against the Patriots in a big game and that will help. So will the way their defense has been playing. Whatever happens, I can't wait. I chose the Colts to beat the Patriots 27-14 before the playoffs began.

I've predicted the AFC exactly correct, but not the NFC. The Saints won a wild one over the Eagles. Though I picked the Colts to win it all, it's hard not to root for New Orleans. And they are playing really well on all sides of the ball. I was told that the Bears would kill the Seahawks. I didn't believe it. Everyone also has qualified that with, "Unless Rex Grossman loses it for them." But the Bears defense hasn't been as great as it was earlier in the season. Their special teams have been weaker too. The Bears won in overtime today and will be at home against the Saints, but they need to play much better if they want to beat Drew Brees and his club.

I'm 6-2 picking winners, 8-0 with spread. Hey, these playoffs have been easier to pick than a Belarusian election. I got my money on Alex Lukashenko. Take that Loser-a-shenko. I may finally win the family football pool for the first time in about 8-9 years, up 3 with 3 to play.

No comments: