Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Best

Stephan Marbury began it. He claimed that he was the best point guard in the NBA. Willis McGahee continued it. He called himself the best running back in the NFL. Now, Brian Scheider has brought it to an embarrassing level. For me.

What is it? It is: players on my favorite teams declaring themselves the best in the world at their respective positions. Schneider, after signing a four year contract with the Washington Nats, asserted, "I am the best catcher in the major leagues."* Schneider is a great defensive catcher. I felt he should have won the gold glove award last season. What was striking, was what Schneider said next.

"Yeah, I'm the best hitter of all time. I make Babe Ruth look like a Jew that is going to Hell according to our team pastor or whatever we call that weird guy who touches little boys inappropriately."*

That's right, Schneider did the unthinkable, considering himself a better batter than BABE RUTH! Schneider is an average hitting catcher at best. He showed flashes last year, but isn't even in the top 5 offensively for catchers nowadays. Just be happy with your new contract Brian, it's great to have you back.



key-
* - This is a paraphrase of what Brian Schneider said. He probably used some of these words in some kind of order, I would guess.

No comments: